For the last several years, IIABNY has asked New York insurance producers to rate the carriers they represent. We ask respondents to score their carriers on how well they meet these ideals:
- Underwriters are empowered, responsive and consistent
- Technology and documentation are easy to use
- Keeps its promises, treats me, my agency and my customers with honesty and fairness
- Treats our relationship as a real partnership
- Field and office personnel have a relationship with me and my customers, and they are very responsive
- Profit sharing and commission arrangements are fair
An independent polling firm rolls up the data (no one at IIABNY sees the individual responses) and calculates separate scores for personal and commercial lines. The results are further broken down by national, super-regional and regional carriers. The results paint an interesting picture of how carriers are performing, especially when compared with prior years.
For example, carriers slipped in the 2013 survey for both personal and commercial lines; the decline was greater for commercial lines. However, regional commercial lines carriers actually improved over the 2012 rating.
I can tell you from first-hand experience that the carriers are very interested in the results of this survey. They have the ability to purchase their individual reports from IIABNY. However, they cannot see individual responses.
The Winter 2014 survey is going on now. Whether you are a member of IIABNY or not, please take a minute to complete it by clicking the link. This is your opportunity to let your carriers know where they excel, where they're treading water, and where they, shall we say, have room for improvement.