Brought to you by:

BigINYHorizontal 172x66px

Twitter Updates

    follow me on Twitter
    Blog powered by Typepad

    « Does an Insurer Need the Client's Consent Before Inspecting Property? | Main | Read the Policy You’re Selling »

    May 16, 2016


    Feed You can follow this conversation by subscribing to the comment feed for this post.

    Tim Dodge

    I received this email from Jerry Trupin, CPCU, CLU, ChFC in Sleepy Hollow, New York:


    ISO CP 00 17 includes the following in the definition of covered building property:

    6) Any of the following types of property contained within a unit, regardless of ownership, if your Condominium Association Agreement requires you to insure it:

    (a) Fixtures, improvements and alterations that are a part of the building or structure; and

    (b) Appliances, such as those used for refrigerating, ventilating, cooking, dishwashing, laundering, security or housekeeping.

    But Building does not include personal property owned by, used by or in the care, custody or control of a unit-owner except for personal property listed in Paragraph A.1.a.(6) above.

    The key term is “if your condominium Association Agreement requires you to insure it:” If so, I think the property described in A.1.a.(6) would be covered whether owned by the developer or anyone else. Sometimes called “original specifications” coverage, it's my preferred choice for condo insurance. Even if the agreement doesn't call for original specifications coverage, some insurers will endorse the policy to provide equivalent coverage.


    Very true. Some of the coverage in both personal and commercial condominium forms hinges on what the condo association by-laws say. Thanks to Jerry for raising this point!

    Verify your Comment

    Previewing your Comment

    This is only a preview. Your comment has not yet been posted.

    Your comment could not be posted. Error type:
    Your comment has been saved. Comments are moderated and will not appear until approved by the author. Post another comment

    The letters and numbers you entered did not match the image. Please try again.

    As a final step before posting your comment, enter the letters and numbers you see in the image below. This prevents automated programs from posting comments.

    Having trouble reading this image? View an alternate.


    Post a comment

    Comments are moderated, and will not appear until the author has approved them.

    Your Information

    (Name and email address are required. Email address will not be displayed with the comment.)